Phillip Wayne DeWoody, the 53-year-old Opelousas man accused of kidnapping a deaf and mute woman from Ville Platte, has been in and out of prison after convictions including two armed robberies and escaping prison at knifepoint, court documents show.

DeWoody was arrested by Louisiana State Police Friday morning in the disappearance of Joyce Thomas, who was reported missing by her family after she was last seen Wednesday. Kujuan Dwight, who identified himself as Thomas’ grandson, publicly shared a surveillance photo from Thomas’ apartment building on Facebook depicting the man family members say is the last person Thomas was seen with.

Authorities have not confirmed if that man is DeWoody, though the two share similar features.

Thomas has not been found.

DeWoody was out of jail on parole, booking records from St. Landry Parish show. A letter from the Louisiana Department of Corrections’ Probation and Parole Division included docket numbers for cases out of Lincoln, Bossier and Caddo parishes.

In 1984, DeWoody was convicted in Caddo Parish of armed robbery and served nine years in prison, court documents say. At the same time, he served roughly two years for a 1985 conviction in Bossier Parish for residential burglary.

He was later convicted of robbing two Lincoln Parish residents at their home — where they had a two-year-old girl — in 1993, two months after his release.

“Defendant tied up one of the victims and held a knife to the throat of another while he searched their home for firearms and money,” an appeals court opinion about that conviction says. “While armed with the knife, he made sexual advances toward the female victim and threatened to kidnap her.”

About a month after his arrest on the second armed robbery, DeWoody escaped from the Lincoln Parish Detention Center, an appeals court opinion says. He fashioned a homemade knife to make his way past a corrections officer and out of his cell, the documents say, and then entered the prison booking office, where he placed the knife at a female officer’s throat and threatened to kill her unless he was released. He took the officer captive and used the threat against her life to get past additional guards and flee the prison.